Delicious and healthy Kharcho Soup recipe
Ingredients for Kharcho Soup:
For 6 persons:
- 1½ lb - 675g beef stew meat)
- 2 tsp olive oil , divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 4½ cups - 1l beef stock or water with beef bouillon cubes
- 1 can 14 oz - 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 dry bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 oz - 50g cup uncooked white rice
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice (from 1 medium lemon)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped, plus more to serve
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped, plus more to serve
- Salt & Black Pepper
How to make Kharcho Soup:
Sprinkle meat with 1 tsp salt and stir.
Heat up the oil or lard in a large soup pot over medium heat and saute the beef cubes till they turn white and get a bit of brownish colour as well.
Work in batches or they will steam instead of sauté. Add 1 tablespoon of oil, if necessary.
Add chopped onion and celery with more oil if needed.
Saute 5 minutes until softened.
Add canned tomatoes with their juice, 4 cups beef stock or water with beef bouillon cubes and 2 bay leaves.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer 1½ to 2 hours or until beef is tender.
Add the white rice, 1 tsp lemon juice, 2 pressed garlic cloves, 1 tsp coriander, 1 tsp paprika powder.
Cover and simmer until rice is tender.
Remove from heat and add ¼ cup parsley and ¼ cup dill.
Cover and let sit off heat for 10 minutes before serving.
Season with pepper and salt.